Saturday 21 January 2012

A Blogger Virgin's First Blog

This is something I thought I would never do. Yet, since an operation a couple of weeks ago, I feel the need to keep track of this year; it just seems that after years of being unwell, I have at last started to get my life back. And it feels GOOD!!


What was the operation? A polypectomy (removal of polyps from the nose). Seems minor, doesn't it? Seven and a half years ago, I had a similar, but bigger operation to remove polyps that had been causing problems for 10 years, but which had not, until the operation, been properly diagnosed. 


After that operation, I developed chronic fatigue, and never recovered fully. Then I was told the polyps were regrowing (they were aggressively growing ones apparently), and despite steroid treatment over the past seven years they remained a problem.


Added to that, a diagnosis of an under-active thyroid and you get one tired women.


However, since moving to a beautiful little town in Sussex, with an excellent doctor's practice, I am learning to manage my chronic fatigue; I am on levothyroxine for my thyroid; and I have now had a further operation on my nose, which has been successful.


I now have a sense of smell (although for how long, I don't know, it has been and gone before), my hearing has improved, I no longer shout at my husband (bless him), I can breathe properly through both nostrils and I have more energy than I have had in years.


The sad thing about these conditions is that they are unseen - people look at you as if you're just making it up. Throughout it all, I have looked OK, yet felt at times perfectly awful. 


Just before Christmas, my uncle died. I feel so guilty that I just couldn't travel down to his funeral in Plymouth - just didn't have the strength and had a nasal infection as well. Now, of course, I could have considered it. We're even thinking of having a holiday this year - unbelievable.


So I want to keep track this year, of what I get up to. I want to fulfil a dream of writing and am advised that this may be one way of starting things off - we shall see.



No comments:

Post a Comment