Saturday 24 August 2013

We're Campers!! - 5 Things I've Learned About Camping

Well, we've done it. On Wednesday this week, we packed up the car and made our way over to Alfriston Camp Site to spend the night there, trying out our new tent. Fortunately, Jessie (our dog), was much better, having been given anti-inflammatory drugs to aid her back problem; so there was nothing to stop us.

Our Tent
Rather than give you a blow by blow account of our trip (which could be very long and, possibly, boring), I thought I would tell you the 5 major things I learnt about this thing called camping.

1.  Looks Can Be Deceiving.
I find it truly amazing that something that looks as fragile as the tent material available now, together with a few poles, can make such great tents. As you begin, there seems no rhyme or reason to it. The poles are ridiculously slim. But when you start to fit it all together and start to put in a few tent pegs; Hey presto - a tent begins to appear. We had got a 4 man tent and, once it was up, it looked very comfortable for the 2 of us (plus Jessie).

2.  Mistakes Happen.
It is a sad fact that however hard you prepare, things can always go wrong. It was the first time either of us had camped in decades. Technology had moved on with the tent and all it's plastic bits and bobs; the inner linings and the separate groundsheet for the living area - all streets ahead from the little two man tent that my first husband and myself used over 30 years ago. We made the mistake of not fitting the ground sheet in the living area correctly and, when it rained overnight, we woke up to find a soaked pillow and kaftan, but luckily nothing else.

We also thought that we had pitched perfectly, but we had reckoned without that slight slope, which meant that I kept on rolling towards Alan when we were on the air bed. Twice I had to get out to readjust the air bed - lesson learnt.

The air bed featured in another mistake - I had a problem with getting onto and settling on it. On 3 occasions I stepped onto it, went to slip into the sleeping bag, only to find myself bouncing off and landing backwards into the living area. The 3rd time was at 3.00am. My dear husband said that I looked like one of those rather plump ladies in a 18th century cartoon, falling back with their legs akimbo. Most amusing - especially when all I wanted to do was laugh, only to be told to shush! as I would wake up our neighbours. Much shoulder heaving then ensued:-)

3.  You Don't Just Need A Tent.
We had a tent, air bed, sleeping bag, single gas ring, food for tea and breakfast (we were going to eat out at lunchtime, to celebrate), teabags, powdered milk, sugar and coffee. You would think that would have been enough as we were only staying for a night. Yet, it may have been even better with camping chairs; we had one fishing chair and a folding chair from the computer desk - each at a different height to the other, so you were either looking down on the other or looking up. Also you soon realised they weren't very comfortable, especially if Jessie wanted to sit with you.

I had thought Alan mad when he spoke about a carpet in the living area; yet after a while I could see the benefit of that. Mind you, with the influx of water in our groundsheet incident, it would have got very wet.
I could also see that a double stove would be of great benefit if we were considering longer trips. Eating out nowadays is very expensive if done regularly, so cooking on site would definitely reduce costs.

The state of some of the pegs left a lot to be desired when they were taken up, making heavy duty pegs a must for our ever growing list.

To be fair, making do is all part of the fun when camping, so I wasn't unduly worried - just aware that if we were to camp regularly, it would be better to do it in some comfort.

4.  Commonplace Things Become Special
Going to the loo at 01.15am with a nearly full moon was a magical experience. Unzipping the tent and stepping onto grass and then wandering across the field (there wasn't a direct route) torch in hand to the toilet block really appealed . And when I walked from the toilet back to the tent, I looked up and there was the full moon, moving in and out of the straggly clouds - truly lovely.

Even though I had issues with the air bed, going to sleep in what virtually the open air was so different  and, for me, enjoyable.

And even making tea and having our two meals there made for a very different experience.

5.  It's Fun.

Our Site
OK, it wasn't a perfect trip. Things went wrong, there were aspect of our time there that could have been better, but I had a fantastic time. There were a lot of laughs. We met people, some from Holland and Germany; other from Denton and near Lewes; mostly friendly and full of good advice and support.

It was a great learning experience. There were items that we now know would have made the trip better. Mistakes we made, which we will try not to make again. But above all, I feel filled with a great sense of achievement that we actually did it at all. Having had health problems over the past few years, where holidays were not something we could consider, I felt that we were on an upward trend and life was improving.

I'm just hoping that it won't be too long before we do it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment