Saturday 10 August 2013

Glorious Food at 'The Flying Fish'

Setting aside for the moment my preoccupations with riding a bike and making sourdough bread (of which more in blogs to come), I thought I would mention a lunch that my husband and I ate this week at a pub not far from where we live.

It was a late, late birthday lunch, as I had had the misfortune to end up with a tummy bug the day after my birthday, when we had planned to celebrate my special day during that week.

Last Monday, we decided to go to Denton, to have a drink at 'The Flying Fish'. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't the pleasant, warm atmosphere that we were greeted with. The landlady is young (in her 30's), good looking and  friendly with a no nonsense air about her. She soon had the measure of my husband and bantered with him, which he enjoyed. The menu also looked interesting. While there we booked a table for Wednesday lunchtime; as Alan said, "we haven celebrated your birthday yet".

The pub itself is not large and it hasn't been over-modernised. You walked straight into the main bar and there is to the left a small room used as a restaurant; although if you have a dog (as we do), there is a separate area to eat there also. It is also blessed with a large beer garden.

Looking at the menu on Wednesday, I was spoilt for choice; should I go for the chilli con carne with chips in a basket? Or the lamb hotpot? In the end, I chose the fish special - salmon fillet marinated with coriander and lime with new potatoes and salad. Alan chose the fish pie. They were both lovely meals, both to look at and to eat. The last time I had had salmon was over 25 years ago, in Ireland and it was as dry as dust. This fillet, however, was moist and tasty, with the salad, covered with a dressing tasting fantastic. I didn't hear much from Alan while he was eating his pie; a sure sign he was liking what he was eating.

We weren't going to, but both of us ordered desserts. Alan went for the Eton mess and I chose apple and apricot crumble. By this time, we could see that they had got quite busy; so there was a little wait for our course. It wasn't a problem as the atmosphere felt relaxed and everyone seated in our area seemed to be enjoying themselves. In fact, for a Wednesday afternoon, we were surprised that it was so busy.

We ended the meal with coffee and left feeling very satisfied with the meal and the afternoon.

I suppose the acid test will come when we visit again. We have to been to many pubs in the Seaford area and been impressed only to go again to find the either the chef had changed or the management and things not as good as they were. I can only say of 'The Flying Fish' that they are doing everything right. Long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment