Wednesday 14 August 2013

Happy Campers:-)

It does seem strange that when you start doing new things, like making sourdough bread or learning to ride and become confident with a bike, that other opportunities crop up. And you think to yourself, 'why not?' That may not seem unusual to you - but for me, it definitely is.

My husband and I have for a numbers of years talked about the idea of buying a tent and going camping. I don't know why. Maybe it was just the freedom of the concept; packing the tent and equipment in the car and going off to somewhere peaceful and scenic. Anyway, it has been  talk, with nothing further done. As people often say, life took over. My health wasn't good, so it didn't seem an option.

On Monday, my husband, as part of an exercise routine, walked from Seaford to Alfriston over the downs. In the process, he walked past a site for tourers and tents. He was so taken by it, that, in the afternoon, he brought me back there (by car, I hasten to add) to see it. We also visited a beautiful country house hotel - Deans Place, also in Alfriston for a drink, as he had done in the morning.

The camp site was lovely, situated in a valley and near to a stables. It was quiet when we visited although apparently on the weekends, it can be busy. But I could just see myself there, pottering around as others were doing.

So, the same night, we went onto the Internet and ordered a 4 man tent and air bed and talked long and hard about doing this extraordinary thing. We thought we would try one night to start with and see where it gets us. Going away for a couple of nights every so often feels very attractive and will be a break from the day to day routine.

We are excited about the whole thing and waiting for the tent to arrive, which will be today. I think our main concern is how Jessie will cope with it. But we'll soon know, as we'll probably be off to that site in Alfriston next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment