Saturday 3 August 2013

The Starter 50+ Cycler Part 3 - The Choice of Bike

The previous two posts have really dealt with my learning to cycle, an event that happened nearly two years ago. But because of my nerves about riding on the road and trying out new things for fear I may fall off and hurt myself, I had left myself in a limbo. I still wanted to ride, which was a good thing. But how to get over those dreadful nerves?

I suppose the most obvious thing would have been to find someone who could show me the on the road basics. I knew that local authorities provided Bikeability courses, but I thought I was too inexperienced even for that. And, at the age of 56, I just felt plain embarrassed to be with others, who were probably younger and more able than myself. I needed to get used to riding, somewhere level and quiet in the first instance, then take it from there.

My dear long suffering husband suggested buying a folding bike; his reasoning being that I could take it to wherever I wanted to go and ride it from there. It sounded like a good idea, so I started looking at the options available.

We both agreed that seeing as I had gone for the cheapest bike when I started to ride, that this time I would get a reasonably priced bike and one I would be comfortable with. Not that the last bike had been bad, but Alan had thought it wasn't the best bike to start with.

 The search started on the Internet, looking first at what Halfords and Evans offered. Really, I then needed to actually look at the bikes themselves. Would I be able to lift it in the car? Did I feel comfortable on it? Did it feel sturdy enough? So we then went to the Halfords near us to see what they had. Whilst they did have folding bikes available and I actually tried a couple, I felt myself in the position of forcing myself to like them because they were cheap. I also did not feel we had the assistants full attention, so questions that we had did not get answered (or even asked such was the disinterest shown).

We happened to go to Eastbourne the following day, where we saw a small independent store which also had folding bikes for sale. This time all our questions were answered and we felt listened to. His recommendation was for a GIANT brand folding bike and we went away with a brochure. I still needed to think about it. But there again, that's part of the problem - I think everything into extinction!

On the way home, we stopped off at the local independent store - Mr Cycles and were once more impressed by the level of service of the independent compared to somewhere like Halfords. They also stocked Giant bikes and we ordered and paid for a GIANT HALFWAY 2 CITY bike there and then. At last, decision made.

The following day, I went in to see the same make I would be having (a bit back to front I know, but they had advised me that one would be coming in that day and I wanted to be reassured). I was really impressed by it's sturdy but light form and structure. I knew I would like this bike. And so two days later, I became the owner of a GIANT folding bike - let the games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment