Wednesday 19 August 2015

Result of Consultant’s Appointment – Astonishingly Good!


We all like to be remembered by people but mainly for good things -for the things that we accomplish or the kind of person we are. I have the dubious distinction of being remembered by my Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) consultant for having really bad nasal passages filled with polyps and other gunk, prior to an operation eleven years ago. After the op, the anaesthetist described the consultant as ‘acting as if he was playing space invaders’ such was his enthusiasm in zapping said polyps.

Since that time and following a further operation a couple of years ago, I seem to have had no further problems on the polyp front. After the second operation, it was recommended that I ‘douche’ my nasal passages every day and use a nasal spray twice a day. I have added to that the discipline of breathing exercises twice a day. All these actions do appear to have helped, even though they may seem excessive to one who hasn't suffered with this seemingly 'minor' problem.

Yesterday marked my regular visit to the consultant to check on the current situation. After a good look up at my nasal passages, which included the use of an endoscope, he pronounced that the state of them was ‘astonishingly good’ and wished he could take photos of said area.

We talked about the past few years and how persevering with my ‘nasal hygiene’ actions really did help. Apparently, persons with my polyp problems usually end up having operations every couple of years to remove them. Either my polyps have burnt themselves out, or, together with the opening up of the sinuses (during the first operation) my good habits are working.

Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled to be in a better state of health. No more nasal infections and face aches, a lack of sense of smell and fatigue. Maybe I will now be remembered as an ‘astonishingly good’ success story.



No comments:

Post a Comment