Wednesday 26 August 2015

I've seen the Future and its Clean, Clean, Clean!


I know it happens in the best regulated household. Once one piece of equipment goes wonky in the house then all the others want to join in.

First it was the washing machine which starting leaking, resulting in discussions as to whether it should be repaired or whether to spend money on a new one. It was decided that as it had been in the house when we moved in and we had no idea how old it was (had to be at least 10 years old – I’d say a bit more), that we would bite the bullet and buy a new one.

After a visit to a QDA store, we returned home a little lighter money wise with the washing machine arriving the following day, together with a tumble dryer – for those times in the winter when you can’t dry the clothes outside. I'll admit it. I had been seduced by the drying of my clothes in a tumble dryer when we went camping a few weeks ago (of which more in a future post).
 
Then the television started to play up. This was really a no-brainer. It had to be at least 14 years old and bought before flat screen televisions became popular (and more affordable). After a bit of research involving copious hours on the computer, we eventually made a choice and ordered, this time on-line.

Much to our surprise, it arrived the following day, and as we thought to also update our Sky package to HD, it was 5 days before we could switch it on and view the difference.

I had now got into buying mode. So when my dear husband suggested that instead of buying new dust bags for our upright vacuum, I purchase a new one, I didn't hesitate.
It wasn't that it was old – we had only purchased it just over 2 years ago. But it didn't seem to be doing the job and on one carpet in the house, didn't seem to pick up dirt there at all. I had previously been told by a vacuum shop manager that all vacuums have an 18 month life, so I thought now (again) was the time.

Much on-line research later, looking in detail at the performance rates and reviews, I chose a Vax Air Series upright vacuum cleaner; one of the lightest available. Again, doing nothing by halves, I also bought a small hand held cleaner for the car.

Both arrived the next day. I don’t know who was more excited, Alan or I. We put the machine together and tried it on the carpet that had exercised my thoughts and, after it bit of trial and error, not being one to fully read the instructions before trying things out, achieved great success. To say it was a revelation would be an understatement. The carpet actually changed colour and the pile lifted and yes, the vacuum picked up all the bits.

What was more amazing was the amount of dust that was picked up (and I had very recently used the old vacuum cleaner!). I have now fallen in love with a vacuum!


The most interesting part for me was that with all our new kit, I was very struck by how technology had really moved on. The washing machine spin speeds were much increased; the tumble dryer is a condenser one so there was no need to vent it externally; the television had a better quality picture and we could now download series on the television that we hadn't seen till now; and the vacuum appeared more efficient that what I had experienced in the past. It’s a whole new world. I have seen the future and it's clean (or cleaner!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment