Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Year, New Attitude

I know that I'm not on my own at the moment when I look back over the past year and weigh things up. Was it a good year? What could I have done better? What do I want for next year? Inevitably, the passage of time from one year to the next is bound to lead to some reflection and a longing to do better in this next brand new year. It has the feeling of something as yet untouched and with it, the wish to keep it looking as good as possible. But how long, I wonder before the first row or raised voice, bad mood or laziness?

2013 was for me a good year, when things started to come together and we actually started different activities without worrying whether it was going to be too much for me. It is reassuring to find that providing my chronic fatigue symptoms are managed and we plan our activities, much more can be done.

It was also the year when I became involved with the parish magazine for our church. As compiler, I get to set out the items that are going to be in an issue and work with one of the church warden on the editing. I have learned how to use a desktop program this year because of this and have found that my mind relishes having new things to do. It is not without its challenges and it does suck up time, but it has been hugely enjoyable.

We have also been camping, with the strong probability that we will do more next year. That has been great fun and with our new bell tent, we are both hoping for great adventures. And I have a new folding bike, which has allowed me to go off and practise more cycling.

When I think about what I could have done better, my thoughts turn to organising my time. At the moment, I know I'm not perfect in this area. I would like to write more, but can never find the time to do it. And I think I should really appreciate that just buying books about a subject doesn't make me an expert! You have to write to get better about it, a fact that I really appreciated when I did the NaNoWriMo challenge.

Next year will be a good year when what has been started this year in my writing and in various other activities will be built on. More than anything I want to enjoy my life and the experiences that I encounter.

I wish you all a Magnificent 2014 - make it a year to remember.

1 comment: