Monday 23 December 2013

Christmas Past and Present

As the days roll past that take us to Christmas Day, it seems this year that my mind has been on past Christmas's, and how they were spent. As a child, Christmas was all excitement, where the thoughts of presents and what they might be outweighed everything else.

One year, when I was three, I can remember my twin and myself getting up very, very early on Christmas Day. It was very dark and we managed to switch on the light so we could open the presents which we had found at the bottom of the bed. Suddenly, the bedroom door bursts open and there in the doorway is our father and he is not looking very happy. We were sent back to bed with stinging legs and told not to get up until it was light. And yet, although we both had a cry, I can't remember it spoiling Christmas. I think we knew we shouldn't be up but at three what can you do when there are all those delicious parcels waiting for you?

Another year, when my younger brother was still a toddler, he had been given a blow up snowman with a weighted bottom as a present (like a punch bag). Not a brave toddler, he cried ferociously when it was moved around prompting his naughty sisters to move it around even more.

As we grew older, Christmas presents seemed to be more about things that were needed - a best frock, a guitar (we joined a guitar group at 12), shoes and slippers, hankies together with the inevitable selection boxes(which seemed larger then than they do now).

Going into my teens, what I remember most is the food. There was masses of it. A huge turkey with all the trimmings, bacon rolls chipolata sausages, stuffing roast parsnips, and potatoes, sprout, cabbage, peas and carrots - the list appeared to be endless. And for after, my Nan's Christmas pudding. It was paler than the usual Christmas puddings and was the only one I used to eat and enjoy, especially as there were glacé cherries inside. It did seem that we no sooner finished dinner than it was time for tea - fruit salad and Christmas cake. Then later in the evening, bubble and squeak with cold meat. The following was cold meat again but with chips and all kinds of pickles.

I think Christmas's really changed for me when I left my first husband. The first one was pretty miserable, spent with my Mum in the residential home she ran, with her saying if I became upset, 'You've made your bed - now lie in it.' I think it was a time of realising that Christmas wasn't just about presents, food and watching television but about friendship and families and what you put into that special day.

Now, married to a wonderful man, who doesn't like Christmas, having been a butcher for most of his adult life and had to work so hard right up to Christmas Eve, Christmas is more about companionship, knowing that if I see something I like during the year, then I can buy it (so it's Christmas all year round!). It's also about seeing family that we don't see as often as we would like, but making the most of it anyway.

From my faith point of view, it is a reminder that God came to earth in the form of a vulnerable baby, who would grow up to do amazing things, then die and live again, so that we may have this wonderful connection with Him.

Wishing all of you a Joyful Christmas and a peaceful 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment