Friday 5 July 2013

Living Sourdough - Part 2

The continuing story of my sourdough bread-making efforts:-

Day 4

I am alarmed to see that the mixture has fluid on top. This I had seen before in my previous mixes, which never seemed to come to anything. Going back to Paul Hollywood’s recipe, he says that this is because the yeast is over-active and that more flour should be added. As he doesn't say how much, I added four dessert spoons of flour, which made the mix a bit thicker. I decided to leave it until tomorrow before adding any more, if I need to.

Day 5

Small bubbles can be seen in the mix itself, but there is still a thin layer of fluid at the top of the starter. Two more heaped dessert spoons of flour were put in and the mixture stirred well. It is definitely a lot thicker. Some hours later, in the evening I checked the level of the starter against the marker and it has risen and the mixture is bubbling away. Will leave it now until day seven before halving the mix and adding more flour and water. Then, you never know but it might be ready for use by day nine.

Day 7

The starter mix is still looking good, so, as per instructions, half of the mix is thrown away and more flour and water added. I had decided to pour the other half into a large bowl so that the flour and water can properly be mixed in. Also, I thought I would give the jar a clean. I'm holding my breath while doing it in case, for some reason, it kills the dough. It is funny that in all the recipes on making sourdough, they make no mention as to when the contain that contains the starter dough is to be cleaned. I have visions of a gloopy growth on the jar going progressively a manky grey colour.

The jar is carefully rinsed and dried before the mixed starter is returned. No extra water was added this time and it seems the better for it. I am rewarded later on in the day by a good increase in ‘froth’ and I resolve to leave it alone until day 9, when it can be used.

Day 9

Working out how long this is going to take, and bearing in mind the long 2nd proving time (10 – 13 hours), the decision is made to start this off about 3.00pm. The starter, flour salt and water are mixed together into a rough wet dough, then placed on a working surface that has a small amount of olive oil and knead for around 10 minutes. I am amazed at how quickly the rough dough becomes smooth and flexible. Then the dough is put into a bowl, covered and left for 5 hours.

It is at this point that I realise I may have a problem with the next bit. The recipe calls for  the dough to be split into two and then each to be put on a tray and covered with a plastic bag while it proves for 13 hours. The problem is that I don’t have a tray small enough to be put into a plastic bag, or a plastic bag big enough to cover the trays I have. Time for a think and a discussion with my beloved.
In the end, we (or rather I) decide to put the dough into two loaf tins and put each of those in a plastic bag. My husband, viewing the dough in the tins wonders aloud as to whether it (the dough) should have been divided into 3. Sadly, when I get up at 6.30am, I find that they are literally flowing over. Remedial work is required. The dough is taken out of the tins, divided into 3, each being roughly moulded and put into fresh tins for 5 hours. I mentally thank Mr Hollywood for advising that if the dough over proves then, it should be moulded back into shape and left for 5 hours. I’m not too sure what he would have said about my problem. And would I be listening or looking at those beautiful blue eyes?

After 5 hours the tins go into the hot oven. And we wait. I had always thought that the people on the Great British Bake-off must have been mad to be kneeing down looking at their latest great bake, but I find I’m doing exactly the same thing. And doing a really good exercise in holding my breath.

Finally, I judge that it is time to take the loaves out. They seem the right colour. There is no problem getting them out of the tins (another major concern as the dough did seem too wet), and I can see bubbles throughout each loaf. Maybe this has worked?
I can’t wait for the bread to fully cool down. My husband slices the bread, put some olive spread on and give to me to try. It tastes…….gorgeous!!  It has an almost cheesy taste – it’s distinctive anyway. Unlike the sourdough I had made before, there is no after taste. And it tastes tons better that what I had eaten in a cafĂ©.. The description my husband gave was almost like a crumpet and I would have to agree with him. One day on and having had bread for breakfast and lunch, I do believe I'm addicted and looking forward to honing my skills to make this wonderful type of bread. But will all go smoothly?




No comments:

Post a Comment