Saturday 25 October 2014

Weighty Thoughts

Over the past few years, because I have not been in good health and at one point was prescribed steroids for a long period of time, my weight has steadily been increasing. I knew this because the clothes I had no longer fitted as well, if at all. I had read that one of the side effects of steroids was that they stored fat in the abdominal part of the body. This meant that my waist was non-existent and I become in shape much like a cylinder with a bulge in the centre.

My mind has a habit of ignoring the obvious. I had assumed that on my return to better health and having come off the steroids, that my weight would just fall without me doing anything. How wrong I was.

It was only when my dear husband rested his hand on my stomach, in that way that a husband does to  his pregnant wife that I realised that things would have to change. I felt uncomfortable; everything felt tight and I wasn't happy with myself. But, what to do?

The day after that incident, we had my stepson and his wife over. Charlotte had lost a lot of weight recently and looked exceptional. During our conversation, I asked her how she did it. She told me that she had followed a slimming programme with Weightwatchers. So, with much scepticism, I joined up for three months. The said feeling of scepticism wasn't against the company, but me. I love my food. My idea of heaven is a large slice of coffee and walnut sponge or any fruit crumble and ice cream or both, if possible. But something had to change.

I joined Weightwatchers on a special 3 month offer. Looking at the different plans, I came to the conclusion I could do this. And so it started.

Myself before the Diet!
At first the weight came off relatively slowly. I would get a three pound drop one week, then a week or two with nothing to speak of. The worst bit was when I went five weeks at the same weight. But gradually the weight has fallen. To date, I have lost eleven pounds and have dropped a dress size. And, I can hear you ask, has it made a difference?

I can truly say that it has. Camping was a bit of an ordeal, with the bending and stretching involved, I would end up with acid indigestion. Just recently we went camping and I had no problems at all. Another good thing is that I've lost a few centimetres around my waist. My stomach is no longer prominent and I have had to put a new hole in my belt. This means that I can wear dresses and skirts without feeling self conscious. Finally, because I'm doing more exercise, I have this feeling of well being and enjoying life, which has to be a good thing.

Now I look forward to further weight loss and reaching my goal weight. I can see it ahead now and am patiently working my way towards it. It is funny how something I thought would be really difficult has become a way of life now. Long may it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment